Friday, June 10, 2011

A special thanks to my support system

This post goes out to all of those that have been supporting me through this journey so far. Each of you helping me in your own way and several of you are now following this blog. A friend of mine asked how I felt when I got my son's IEP results and found out that he was approved for services under the category of Autistic Like Behaviors.

My initial reaction was extremely mixed. I was not sure how to feel. I knew that this category in no way labeled him as having autism nor was it a diagnosis. In fact I came to find out that it was quite the opposite. It was the result of 7 professionals opinions, observations and many many assessment results compiled, reviewed, discussed and put into a plan of action to help my son continue his journey toward accomplishing the goals set for him over a year ago.

As a team, the conclusion was that he had enough behaviors to qualify for services. Knowing that he qualified for the early intervention services he needed in order to continue his growth well outweighed any one qualifying factor. My only concern is that my child gets what he needs to give him the best opportunity for success and happiness as he grows up. Right now I am 100% confident that we are on the right journey for him and for our family.

On another topic, I need to thank one of my friends for a comment she made to me the other day. She told me that when she had her child assessed by the Regional Center the gap in time b/w her child's first assessment and the final assessment was large enough for him to have changed behaviors due to the early intervention she was paying for out of pocket. I was shocked that this took place and then the same thing almost happened to me today.

Today, the regional center called me to set up our son's final assessment. They wanted to set up this meeting for mid August, stating that the calendar was being booked 2 months out for this assessment. I found that to be unacceptable since we started this process mid April, had the 2nd assessment mid May and they wanted to wait another 2 months for the final assessment. I thought back to what my friend had told me just a day ago and realized that if we waited another 2 months for the final evaluation it was very likely that my child would do what hers did........assess as though he was a different child.

I stood my ground, reasoned with the person at the office and finally came to an agreement that worked for me. Instead of waiting another 2 months for an assessment, my son is now having his final assessment next week. Persistence pays off when you do it the right way. You have to be stern, yet sincere. Don't lose your cool, find a way to stand your ground for what you believe in and most of all, keep your eye on the goal.........to make sure you child gets what he/she needs in order to be happy, confident and comfortable in his/her own skin.

For the first time in a long time I am very optimistic about a happy and bright future for our amazing first born son.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Thursday - Simplicity in a complex puzzle

I wholeheartedly believe recognizing the need for simplicity is essential in creating a pathway toward clarity, collaboration and change. So...