Tuesday, January 12, 2021

Putting you first matters but perhaps not in the way you think!

I don't know anyone that can show up at their best day in and day out without creating the habits that become daily routines, so by default, putting you first matters!  I suspect most, if not all of us, never want to become the very thing we criticize.  

Simply stated putting yourself first could be:

  • Getting enough sleep so you show up refreshed and ready to start your day 
  • Eating the right foods and drinking enough water so your body has the the energy to get done what you need to for the day 
  • Taking time to exercise your body and mind consistently gives people the best chance of engaging in discussions with an open mind, coming from a place of gratitude and without predetermined ideas of how something will end.  

It also means being self-aware, recognizing and acknowledging how you show up and creating the change in yourself that you expect to see in others.  Giving yourself permission to not judge yourself for mistakes and instead focusing on what you can learn from every situation. 

Putting myself first allows me to focus on mindfulness and the things I can control - placing them front and center.  There is so much we can't control, yet I think we can all agree that everyone has the ability to control one's own habits, behaviors, actions and reactions.  Trust me, Focusing energy on mistakes vs progress isn't worth it!

For so long, putting myself first felt selfish and very overwhelming. Now I know not doing so impacts how I show up, how others see me, perceive my behavior and influences, impacts and interferes with my ability to effectively guide others to create the change they want to see.

As a mentor, advocate, coach and leader - for me - doing the above allows the space for gratitude, forgiveness opening my mind to Communicate, Collaborate Comprehend and even Compromise!

Here's why........Actions, Reaction, Motions and Emotions are all factors in our daily life. How we feel about ourselves often impacts all this  - at least that is the case in my world.  When I don't put myself first, in the ways I describe above, I can't show up ready to effectively and objectively Communicate, Collaborate Comprehend nor Compromise. Why not? Because when I am off kilter I listen to respond vs to understand, I react vs respond because I am emotional and not "grounded" in objectivity.  

Communication means nothing without understanding.  An open mind, willingness to listen to others thoughts/ideas strings together the ability to comprehend, collaborate and compromise.

I recognize and acknowledge that putting myself first is necessary to thrive.  Curious to know if you believe putting yourself first is selfish or necessary to thrive?


Coming Soon:

Group  discussions focused on 

Topics important to parents of students with learning differences 



Website found here ->  https://journey2bloom.wixsite.com/mysite/how-we-collaborate

#journey2bloom #inspireresilience #ittakesavillage #movingmountains #wordsmatter #advocacy #parenting #findingyourvoice

  






 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Thursday - Simplicity in a complex puzzle

I wholeheartedly believe recognizing the need for simplicity is essential in creating a pathway toward clarity, collaboration and change. So...