Tuesday, October 27, 2020

Relationships Matter

I was reminded of just how much relationships matter on Friday when I received a text from a neighbor, friend and mother of a child who has been proactively seeking answers for her son's speech delays. All it said was, "I left you a little something on your front porch".  I read the text and continued on with my day - a day like many others this school year - one that included a few bouts of tears by my 10 year old son whom is completely overwhelmed by virtual learning.  Fast forward 7+ hours into my day - having come up for air - I went outside to see what what was on my front porch. Truth be told, I assumed it was something for my younger son as our kids are friends and it is almost Halloween after all. Much to my surprise it was a gift and a card for me.  The gift was nice and yet it's the words in the card that really touched my heart and reconnected me to what matters most -> relationships.  The card started with the words, "Got approved for Speech Services!"  She went onto write that she couldn't have gotten to this point without my help and advice and families who work with me are very lucky.  

Ironically, I believe I am the lucky one because I get to help parents find their voice and put together the puzzle pieces so every child's life I touch, has a better chance of reaching their true potential.  Doing so, happens to include providing support, tools and guidance to parents and caregivers on the pathway to getting children the services they are entitled to receive based on their specific learning differences, development delay or other health impairment. 

Had it not been for the relationship we built over time, the trust that came with it and the opportunities to engage in meaningful conversation - offering emotional support and guidance along the way- she likely would have given up on her quest to get her son to assessed for SPL services - an assessment she initially requested well over a year ago and one that recently resulted in her son getting approved for services.  

I recognize that relationships come in many different forms - perhaps simply a connection, an association, a link, a correlation, a correspondence, a parallel path, an alliance, an interrelation, or interconnection through a random common connector.  Perhaps you felt listened to, heard, comfortable, able to engage, interacted easily and encouraged to keep going.  Maybe you felt ignored, discouraged and defeated.  This could have been the first of many or the one and only interaction. You may have been getting to know one another for the first time, or catching up for the first time in years.  The topic may have been of a personal or professional nature.  You may or may not have left feeling as though it was an enjoyable conversation or that is was time well spent. My point is, whether you met someone in passing or spend hours with a person, at the end of the day, the lasting impression comes from how you made each other feel. 

My Journey2Bloom provides a platform that allows me to continue connecting and bringing together a community of individuals. Through this platform, I get to support, guide and lead others to clarity, answers and solutions as each begins to find their voice, while forming new relationships and rekindling others with whom I have lost touch over the years.  We all get to learn and grow.  It is important to remember out of site doesn't mean out of mind.  Why? Because most, not all, want to connect with others and help one another. Just because you haven't talked to someone for what feels like forever, doesn't mean they haven't thought of you, would like to hear from you or perhaps even be in a position to help you if you just reached out.  This is not to say, just call someone and say, "hi I need your help!"  It is to say, relationships continue to be relationships and often stand the test of time.  When you allow yourself to let go of the "what if" and replace it with "why not", doors begin to open and bonds are formed that allow you to know you are no alone and remind you just how much relationships matter.

A kind and gentle reminder - my mission is to lay the groundwork for a path of collaboration, open communication and vulnerability that allows everyone to speak and share their truth, concerns and valuable insights, creating cohesive partnerships and a roadmap that truly benefits the child.  This could be a young child, a young adult or an adult learner.  

If this resonates with you or makes you think of someone you know, please reach out to see how I may be able to support you on your very own #journey2bloom. journey2bloom@gmail.com 


Find out more about how I can help here -> https://journey2bloom.wixsite.com/mysite




#journey2bloom #inspireresilience #ittakesavillage #movingmountains #wordsmatter #advocacy #parenting #findingyourvoice



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thankful Thursday - Simplicity in a complex puzzle

I wholeheartedly believe recognizing the need for simplicity is essential in creating a pathway toward clarity, collaboration and change. So...